This week several journalists will appear before judges. Below is a list of this week’s journalism and free speech trials:
February 19, Tuesday
- 18 Progressive Lawyers Association members, 5 of which are in detention, will appear before İstanbul 37. High Criminal Court at 10:00 AM on “membership in a terrorist organization” and “spreading terrorist propaganda” charges. The hearing, which is planned to last for two days will be held in Silivri.
- Etkin News Agency (ETHA) reporter Ali Sönmez Kayar will appear before İstanbul 32. High Criminal Court at 09:50 AM, on “membership in a terrorist organization” charges.
- Hearing of Evrensel daily former managing editor Çağrı Sarı’s compensation case, will be held at Bakırköy 2. Criminal Court of First Instance at 10:50 AM. Sarı was sued after Evrensel reported on the Paradise Papers leak.
February 21, Thursday
- Also known as the Özgürlükçü Demokrasi Trial, the daily’s executives, reporters and editors will appear before İstanbul 23. High Criminal Court at 10:00 AM, on “membership in a terrorist organization” and “spreading terrorist propaganda” charges. Five out of 14 defendants are tried whilst in detention as part of the case.
- The now-shuttered pro-Kurdish Özgür Gündem daily Editors-in-Chief Hüseyin Aykol, Zana Kaya ve and the daily’s managin editor İnan Kızılkaya, along with Kurdish politician Hatip Dicle will appear before İstanbul 2. Criminal Court of First Instance at 10:00 AM. Defendants are charged with “insulting the government, judicial organs or the security forces” and “defaming the Turkish nation, republic and the parliament”.
- Sued after the Treasury Minister Berat Albayrak and his brother Serhat Albayrak filed a complaint regarding her reporting on Paradise Papers, hearing of journalist Pelin Ünker will be held at İstanbul 2. Criminal Court of First Instance at 09:30 AM.
- Journalist Ertuğrul Mavioğlu and director of “Bakur: A Guerilla Documentary” Çayan Demirel will appear before Batman 2. High Criminal Court on “spreading terrorist propaganda” charges.
- Hearing of columnist Perihan Mağden and reporter İnan Ketenciler will be held at İstanbul 2. Criminal Court of First Instance. Defendants are charged with “insulting the president” due to an article Mağden penned in 2016 for Nokta magazine, which was also republished after a while, by Ketenciler.