This week several journalists will appear before judges. Below is a list of this week’s journalism and free speech trials:
November 20, Tuesday
- Hearing of journalist İshak Karakaş in which he is accused of ‘terrorist propaganda’ will be held at 09:30 AM at İstanbul 28. High Criminal Court. The evidence presented against Karakaş consists of his critical social media posts regarding the Turkish Army’s military operation in Afrin, Syria.
- Hearing of academic Senem Yıldız will be held at İstanbul 36. High Criminal Court at 11:20 AM. Yıldız is charged with "terrorist propaganda" due to his participation in the peace petition titled "We will not be a party to this crime" criticizing the state’s military involvement in the predominantly Kurdish populated cities in 2015. The petition was launched by Academics for Peace Initiative.
November 21, Wednesday
- Hearing of Evrensel columnist Yusuf Karataş in which he is accused of ‘founding and leading a terrorist organization’ will be held at Diyarbakır 9. High Criminal Court.
- Hearing of photojournalist Sertaç Kayar will be held at Diyarbakır 10. High Criminal Court. Kayar is accused of 'leading a terrorist organization' and his journalistic activities from 2011-2012 are being presented as evidence against him in the indictment.
November 22, Thursday
- Hearing of Perihan Mağden in which she is accused of ‘insulting the president’ will be held at 10:50 AM at İstanbul 2. Court of First Instance.
- Hearing of journalists Sibel Hürtaş and Hayri Demir will be held at 10:40 AM at Ankara 15. High Criminal Court. Hürtaş and Demir are accused of ‘inciting the public towards hatred and animosity’ and ‘terrorist propaganda’ based on their criticism regarding the Turkish Army’s military operation against Afrin.
- Hearing of Pelin Ünker will be held at İstanbul 2. Court of First Instance. Ünker is charged with ‘attack on personal rights’ based on her reporting about the Paradise Papers leak.